Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Now, that I finally recovered from the flu, here a short summary of what I forgot to mention... I had three weeks to create 6 min. of fractal animation. It was going to be part of the stage projection for the current performance of the “Infected Mushrooms” – a hot group from Israel, who are located in L.A.. Their music is something like techno, house, rave, etc... -- in fact, they invented their own entirely new sound, complex rhythmic patterns, sometimes jarring – always interesting and very danceable, which probably explains their commercial success. I finally produced about 15 minutes of fractal madness. Everybody seemed to be very happy with the result and after they edited it beyond recognition, but matching the music, I was looking forward to the premiere at the Avalon, probably currently L. A.s most popular Club (The former Palace, a beautiful art deco theater.) The stage consisted of two high tech pods which housed the musicians and on the pods and the background we projected our wild and loud visuals! V square, the company responsible for the projections, had done a great job and I personally want to acknowledge my friend Davy Force, who included me into the creation of this experiment. It lasted ninety minutes, but was never boring! From YouTube -- the last two minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIxt6aYtxI ...and the first tweo minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isURPQBTIh0&feature=related Obviously it worked really well, the audience was roaring and the group is now touring the world. ...and I'm waiting for more jobs... in the meantime my YouTube site amounted to over 150 000 hits, which, compared to biting babies or piano playing cats, is a ridiculous amount, but for a fractal artist it is pretty impressive! A few days later I was invited to project my fractal animations in the context of an art event, part of the Venice Art Crawl. There was not much time to prepare, but in spite of all the improvising, it looked great, once it was dark. Too bad a cold wind insisted that I would have to get a flu now -- the on and off flu that I finally beat. Lately I met Peter Chung of “Aeon Flux” fame. Since the days of M TVs “Liquid Television” I have loosely followed his activities and was delighted to find out that he loves fractal art, specifically the 3dimensional animations. He said he had downloaded all my fractal animations from YouTube. I was thrilled. Funny though: I work hard to give the fractal imagery a narrative, something that takes it beyond eye candy – or the popular “Alien Spaceship” Alien Planet” narratives. Peter doesn't care about narratives. So maybe it has to be his narrative!? Could be fun... Meanwhile.... the 3D printers are getting cheaper by the hour! But before we can print 3D fractals, we have to be able to lift the fractals out of their lofty, spiritual/mathematical world and install them in the solid, but limited cadcam world of vectorgraphics. Many people are working on this and there are quite a few interesting solutions in sight. I can't wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment